Progress can be like this
Everyone's talking about adhesive bonding. What exactly is it? It's always about joining two components using an adhesive. This must adhere to the two substrate partners and be able to transfer forces.
The conceptual distinction between adhesion and cohesion is important. Adhesion ensures a connection to the joining partners. The adhesive adheres to the joining partner. In most adhesive systems, it is formed by physical interactions. These are realized by bringing the adhesive within a few nanometers of the joining partner with the aid of dipoles (principle of a magnet). The cohesion of the adhesive represents the internal strength and serves to transfer forces between the joining partners.
Professional preparation of the surfaces to be bonded is absolutely essential. For this purpose, there is a wide range of solutions using manual to fully automated joining technology.
- Dirty surfaces reduce the adhesive strength
- Surfaces must be dry and clean (remove moisture, grease and dust)
- Loose coatings or top coats must be removed
- Make sure that the temperature of the joining partners is equal
- Use only clean cloths to clean the surfaces
- Change cloths frequently if necessary
- Wipe technique
- Test pins can be used to check the cleaning
The advantages of adhesive bonding technology compared to conventional joining techniques are manifold. Bonding enables the designer to exceed previous limits. Especially the connection of different materials is often only possible by bonding.
- Joining different materials
- Uniform stress distribution
- Two-dimensional power transmission
- No damage to the joining parts (heat, holes, etc.)
- Joining of the smallest parts
- Connection of very thin components (e.g. foils)
- Production of flat composites (carpeting etc.)
- Weight saving, lightweight construction possible
- No contact corrosion
- High dynamic strength
- Flexible joining
- For optically sophisticated constructions
- Additional functions (sealing, damping, electrical insulation, prevention of contact corrosion)
- Provide sufficient bonding surface
- Adjust adhesive thickness and backing material to the expected loads
- Avoid voltage peaks
- Reduction of peeling and splitting stress
- Even load distribution
- If possible, pressure or shear load
- Avoid cavities
- Parallel connection
- Observe tolerances
- Power transmission
- Corrosion protection
- Sound insulation
- Design freedom
- Electrical conductivity
- Permanent or temporary
- Vibration damping
- Material closure
- Electrical insulation
- Compensation of joint tolerances
- Thermal conductivity
„The circumferential bonding of the window glass to its frame allows for better safety, best insulation and greater freedom of design.“
ENGELBERT KÖNIG (HEAD OF PRODUCT DESIGN),
INTERNORM INTERNATIONAL GMBH
„Perfect bonding results thanks to ideal and precise preparation with Lohmann.“
MARCEL HUG (CEO),
SWISSSTAR FENSTER AG
"With Lohmann's adhesive tape solutions for dry static glazing we have reliably been achieving maximum stability in our window systems for more than ten years – and certified!”
LARS ALBRECHT (DIVISION MANAGER DESIGN/APPLICATION TECHNOLOGY),
GEALAN FENSTER-SYSTEME GMBH
Lohmann keeps its promises.
Build on bonding:
more information for forward thinkers
You will find interesting and future-oriented adhesive solutions and more detailed information about bonding with glass, wood and plastic in the field of construction and architecture in our info flyers, which are available for download here.
How to contact us
You have more questions? You would like to talk to one of our experts without any obligation? You would like to get more information about a Lohmann solution?
Whatever your request is: We look forward to hearing from you!
* Mandatory field
The range of Lohmann solutions is wide and new developments are constantly being added. For a comprehensive overview of what we can do for you, please visit our company website.